I've been doing everything I can to get work and get my name out there since I decided to do this freelance thing for real. One thing I should have braced myself for was the onslaught of frightening writing opportunities available on the internet. I know that the Web is the next step (or to be more accurate the current step as well) in where my profession is going. As a result, I want to get the most out of this new medium.
This is how I found the Web site Scriptlance.
The idea behind this network is that people who need work on this site post a project and then let people bid on it. The problem with this is the fact that some people will always bid the absolute bare minimum of $10 for any project their give. And when I say any, I really mean it.
For example, here's one one such ad:
****1.00$ Per Article RE-write*******
***** Must be Able To Re write 10 min Per day****
- Articles must be rewritten perfectly in a new manner that doesn't looks like original and able to pass copyscape.
- articles to be rewritten will be provided by me.
- 400 to 450 words per articles.
The lowest bidder, who had a username with a lot of consonants in it, promised to only charge only $10 for the whole project, but that he would have it done immediately. Here's his/her short sales pitch:
"Sir, I am fresher here but i have the proficiency in doing your work perfectly as per you choice. i hope you may try me."
For something like three days I received an e-mail that compiled a list of about a dozen new entries every morning that looked almost identical to the scene described above. I decided that weeping in the fetal position after reading these dirt cheap assignments wasn't going to be thing to push my writing to next level, so I scrapped it. Onwards.
- Kokomo Tribune - Article List
- Speeches, appearances, etc.
- Judging history
- "One Year Later"
- WFHB - Daily Local News Stories
- Subscribe to This Burgess
- Ukiah Daily Journal - House of Burgess blog archive
- Anderton Leaf Photography
- The Rob Burgess Show
- Society of Professional Journalists - Member
- Kokomo Tribune Website Awards
- PGP key
- Kokomo Tribune - City Editor/Editorial Board Member/Opinion Page Editor
- Indiana Lawyer - Managing Editor
- Aug. 24, 2016 tornadoes
- Rob Burgess - NUVO - Article List