Here it is, two hours until the end of the day and I still haven’t gotten any writing done. Not a thing.
It’s really embarrassing too because I keep telling people I’m doing all this good work and just nothing. The spirit to do creative work is usually crushed by this point in the day. I need a new way to make myself get up in the morning.
I’ve come to conclusion that early rising will probably be the only way I’ll ever stick with my daily writing program. By this point in the day there’s almost no point. All my energy has been spent just getting through the day.
And at night? Well, all I want to do is sleep, or something akin to that. I watched three episodes of Boston Legal tonight. I don’t know why. It’s not even my favorite show. It was just something to do.
I feel like I earn my free time because everything always ends up being more difficult than I intend it to. This is probably also part of my problem. I budget in my day for a certain amount of distraction and work and by the end of it the quotas for both have been raised so high my gas tank ends up on “E.”
But enough about that. I’m working on getting excited about things. Here’s a rundown of the my writing projects:
- This blog. I used to keep a daily journal that I would show absolutely no one. I still have it saved somewhere in my files and I’ll still probably never show anyone. I’ve determined the problem with much of my writing is just that; I’ll never show it to anyone. This blog is an opportunity for me to have the same single-paged assignment, you know, for others to actually read.
- My zombie story I’m writing with Sean. I’m having a lot of fun with this. The idea sprung from our constant weekend chats about the zombie apocalypse. It’s a fun subject to think about and it’s even more fun that I have someone to bounce ideas off of.
- My book proposal. I haven’t really decided what this is going to be on yet, but I’m making it my goal to finish work on this by June 24. This goes along with my overriding goal of doing something big with my writing.
- A movie script. Same as before, but in a different format. This is more something I want to do after I put my book proposal together.
- Freelance articles. This is something I’ve been working towards for quite some time now with no success to speak of. This is part of the reason I’ve been freaked out about if I can make it as a writer or not. It seems like everyone has turned to freelancing nowadays. Coupled with the fact that all I’ve received so far are the incredibly tiny rejection slips in my extra-large self-addressed and stamped business letters and my fire has been somewhat dimmed. I now set to bash my head even harder against a wall that seems to have only become more firm every day.
I’m really only working on the first two of those goals daily, but I’m adding another tomorrow morning. Morning. Morning. Morning. Writing will take place in the morning. One way or another I will be a morning person. Coffee makes me nauseous. Getting up early makes me sad in my bones.
Some way this will work though.
Keep me in your thoughts. I have a lot of work to do. I now recognize that this will require massive amounts of fortitude.
- Editorial Board Member
- Kokomo Tribune - Article List
- Speeches, appearances, etc.
- Judging history
- "One Year Later"
- WFHB - Daily Local News Stories
- NUVO Newsweekly - Article List
- Subscribe to This Burgess
- Ukiah Daily Journal - House of Burgess blog archive
- Anderton Leaf Photography
- The Rob Burgess Show
- Society of Professional Journalists - Member
- Kokomo Tribune Website Awards
- PGP key